Baloise is an insurance company which arose from the idea of a supportive community. We have always been aware of how important it is to take responsibility and put our actions at the service of sustainable development. Baloise Asset Management – the asset manager of the Baloise Group – integrates into the overall strategy and assumes responsibility in the area of investment strategy for investing the third-party customer funds of the Baloise Group.
For Baloise, sustainable development and the insurance and financial services business have significant similarities: long-term activities and responsible handling of risks and resources. Baloise therefore wishes to secure its own business operations and thus its employees’ jobs in the long term, and actively shape social transformation as a corporate citizen.
In order to effect the biggest possible impact on social transformation as a corporate citizen, both Baloise’s value-added approach as well as the UN Sustainable Development Goals are applied as a framework for the implementation of goals and measures. Within this framework, Baloise Asset Management primarily focuses on climate action and thus on Sustainable Development Goal No. 13 (combating climate change) when it comes to responsible investment. A dedicated climate strategy has been developed for this purpose.
We are confident that the integration of environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria in our investment process will have a positive effect on the return risk and will reduce the downside risk in our investments and in the investments we make using the assets entrusted to us. As a result, we consider this integration to be an additional risk management tool. Investing responsibly also allows us to create positive added value for the environment and society.
Our understanding of responsible investment
We understand responsible investment as the inclusion of ESG factors in investment decisions.
We strive to strengthen our commitment to our customers, shareholders and employees. Therefore, we became a signatory of the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) in 2018, and are also a member of Swiss Sustainable Finance.
Our guiding principles for responsible investment
- Responsible investment (RI) requires collective measures. As of 2018, we are a signatory of the six PRI.
- A long-term, holistic investment horizon is essential in investment analysis for a positive risk/return profile. We therefore integrate ESG factors in the investment process.
- We regularly review completed investments to ensure that all our various insurance units comply with the RI guidelines.
- We take our responsibility as an investor seriously. We exercise our voting rights for Swiss stocks by following the principles of good and ethical corporate governance.
- As a responsible investor, we engage in active dialogue on specific sustainability issues with the companies we invest in.
- We report on our activities in a transparent and proactive manner.
Our responsible investment governance
We have adjusted our governance structure based on responsible investment and the associated integration of ESG criteria in our investment decision-making process as well as the necessary monitoring of our responsible investment (RI) policy. Our newly established Responsible Investment Committee (RIC) is in charge of developing the RI strategy and monitoring the investment policy.
We take responsibility seriously
We wish to take our responsibility in the Swiss market for responsible investments seriously and actively contribute towards further developments. We have therefore joined working groups for responsible investment by the Swiss Insurance Association (SIA), the Asset Management Association Switzerland (AMAS) and Swiss Sustainable Finance (SSF).